Can I Leave My Tenancy?

We understand that from time to time circumstances can change. Your Tenancy Agreement forms a legally binding document. If you want to remove your obligations under the Tenancy Agreement please read the below information carefully and fill out the form.


The Process

Please read the below information carefully

Firstly you'll need to tell your guarantor and housemates that you no longer wish to live in the property. You'll then need to formally inform us of your intentions using the form at the bottom of this page. You'll then need to find a suitable replacement for your obligations under the Tenancy, once a suitable replacement has been found, viewed the property, applied for the property and signed the Tenancy Agreement we'll write to you confirming that you are no longer bound by the Tenancy Agreement and able to sign for alternate accommodation (if required).

We'll help! Once you find a suitable replacement we're happy to show them the property on a viewing or even provide a viewing by FaceTime! If the replacement tenant likes the property we'll even do the Tenancy Agreement and all the paperwork for you!


Suitable Replacement

Most Tenancy Agreements in the UK do not allow the tenant to simply inform the Landlord they no longer wish to live at the property.

Our landlords have agreed to allow any tenant the opportunity to leave the Agreement so long as the original tenant has found a suitable replacement.

*Suitable Replacement: Must be a student in full time education, wish to take over your obligations under the Tenancy Agreement and have a working UK based Guarantor.

Your Details

Tenancy Details

Please provide details of the property you no longer wish to reside in
Please state the reason(s) you wish to no longer live at the above property. Please be as detailed as possible.


Please read the below statements carefully before signing this form
I hereby, formally confirm that I wish to remove my liability under the tenancy agreement for the above property. I understand that the request is final and that upon signing and submitting this form I must find a suitable replacement to cover my obligations under the tenancy, I understand that if I fail to find a suitable replacement for my legal obligations I will be bound by the terms of my original agreement.
I hereby agree to notify all residents under the tenancy of my application to sever my tenancy.
I hereby agree to notify any guarantor that has guaranteed my tenancy of my intentions to remove my liability under the tenancy agreement. I confirm my guarantor understands that the guarantee will remain in place until a suitable replacement has been found.

Tenant Find Service

At Student Housing we offer a tenant find service, priced at £249.00. If you decide to use our Tenant Find Service Student Housing will advertise your room on their website as well as other 3rd party websites and in branch with the view to find a replacement tenant.
The tenant find service is No Let No Fee and is not a guarantee that a replacement tenant will be found. The service is charged at £249 and only payable once a replacement tenant is found. We recommend that you still look for your own replacement alongside the Tenant Find Service.
I hereby agree to the above statements and confirm my intentions of severance. I hereby understand that by signing above I have not yet severed my tenancy but expressed my interest in doing so. I further understand that a suitable replacement must be found before my obligations under the tenancy will be removed by the Landlord.


What does "Suitable Replacement" mean?
A suitable replacement is a replacement tenant whom is happy to take over your obligations under the tenancy agreement. The replacement must be a full time student, be able to provide a UK based working guarantor and eligible for a Class N council Tax Exemption.

How do I find a suitable replacement?
We recommend you reach out to your housemates and find out if they know of anyone looking for accommodation. We also recommend posting photos of your accommodation on the course groups on Facebook as well as Team and Society Facebook websites. You can also post your room on a number of other websites such as Spareroom Student, StuRents, AccommodationForStudent (AFS), PadsForStudents and Gumtree.

If I use the Tenant Find Service and pay you £249 is that it?
Our Tenant Find Service is only charged once a replacement is found, there are no upfront costs for choosing this service and if you find your own replacement before we do there is no fee to pay.

Can I pay to get out of my tenancy?
If you wish, you may pay the full rent owed under the tenancy at least 7 days before the tenancy start date. If you intend to pay the full sum of rent in advance please contact us on 01522 410 646.

Does the £249 Tenant Find Service Guarantee I can leave the Tenancy?
Unfortunately Not, We Can't guarantee to find a replacement, depending on the time of year it may be unlikely that we will find a replacement, In January 2017 we found a total of 237 tenants, In June of the same year we only placed 3 tenants that same month.